Connect on Social Media

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Vegan's Guide to Cruelty-Free/Vegan Candles

Where are my fellow candle lovers at? Probably sitting down, reading this article, with your left hand on your chin. Am I close?

If you're vegan (whether relatively new or have been for a while) you might wonder how to enjoy candles while living a vegan lifestyle. The two ingredients that you generally need to be aware of are stearic acid and beeswax. Two other ingredients to consider are paraffin and lead. While they're technically vegan, they pose a risk to human health. Most candles are made with paraffin, which releases carcinogenic toxins such as benzene into the air- not something you really want to breath in. A better option is soy candles if you want to avoid this. Lead is something else to consider and sometimes can be in the wick itself, thus releasing lead into the air when burned. This is mostly a concern with candles that are imported.


Some candles don't have their ingredients listed and I personally don't feel comfortable buying from companies where I'm unsure if they're cruelty-free and vegan. I know I was disappointed to find out that Bath & Body Works is not cruelty-free and that's when I began my search for vegan-friendly candles. Below I've provided a list of websites that you can easily find candles that do not contain animal by-products.

Pacifica
Pura Botanica
GoodNatural Candles
Mrs. Meyer's
Yankee Candles

Of course, Etsy is a great place to find vegan-friendly candles as well. Here are just a few that I found:
Corscandles
Old Soul Artisan
Dardedze
SnowziCraftCo
OpalAndWonder
TheGoodnessInside
BinkoDeco
HazelFernScents

And if you're really crafty, you could also make your own candles. I found two websites with instructions on how to make vegan candles.
Clairek Creations
SheKnows



No comments:

Post a Comment