Connect on Social Media

Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Year's Resolutions

We made it, guys, it's 2017. I think we can all agree that 2016 was not the best year. I received many texts from individuals exclaiming "f**k 2016!". While I can understand this sentiment and sometimes feel that myself, I think it's good to plan for the new year and work on improving ourselves. These resolutions are meant to be my priories for the year. I have chosen ten resolutions for 2017.

1. Fifty book challenge
I read a lot of books every year, but I'm not sure how many to be honest. I heard of this challenge and thought it was a great challenge because it involves, you know, books. I think this will be good for me to actually see how many new books I've read and what I've been enjoying over the course of the year. I have over 300 books in my collection already (haven't counted in a while so I'm kind of low-balling it) and over 400 books on my Amazon wish list. Finding books will not be a problem, it's more of the finding time aspect that I need to work on.

2. Volunteer more
Every year we donate to organizations such as Save the Children and Doctors Without Borders, but I'm really wanting to volunteer my time more. I'd really enjoy working somewhere with animals- possibly an animal sanctuary. I'd like it if I could find something that my husband and son could do as well so we could go as a family.

3. Try new recipes
For the most part, my husband does most of the cooking and I'm not sure how thrilled he'll be with this one. I think we get into a routine of eating the same meals and there are so many recipes out there. Not to mention that we have a crock pot that we never use and we should probably get some use out of it.

4. Finish my book
A few months ago, I found some short stories that follow a character named Kenzie who has supernatural abilities. After reading them to my husband, he said that it would make an interesting book. So far I have written the preface and two chapters and have an outline of the first five chapters. I don't want to give too much away about the book, but I'd really like to dedicate more time to writing the book.

5. Getting my sleep schedule on track
Because I have anxiety, I often have a hard time going to sleep. I do see a therapist to help with the anxiety, but I think it would be helpful to see a doctor to see what else I can do. I will admit that I do need to change my bedtime routine as well. So more reading books (hey, it's helping another resolution!) and less screen time before bed.

6. Have more date nights with my husband
My husband and I have been married for two years as of tomorrow (woot!!). When we were first together, we would have proper date nights once or twice a month. When we got married, we committed to having one a month. This was especially nice for us since we're parents and don't get to spend quality time together very often. Recently, we haven't been doing our regular date nights and we'd like to start doing that again. We already have tickets for a Harry Potter screening this month, so we're starting out well!

7. Calling family and friends more often
I'm someone who is horrible at keeping in contact with people. It's not because I don't care or don't love them, it's just something that I do without meaning to. I'm originally from Florida and that is where most of my family and friends still live, so I only get to see them about once a year. This year, I want to take steps to be more connected with everyone.

8. Practicing my language skills more
I used to be fairly fluent or conversant in American Sign Language (ASL), German, French, and Hebrew, but never really use them anymore. I downloaded the Duolingo app a while ago, but haven't really been using it. This is something that both my husband and me want to do and we have been teaching our son some along the way as well.

9. Try to observe the Sabbath more
For those who don't know, the Sabbath in the Jewish religion is from Friday to Saturday night (Jewish days start when the sun goes down). I have friends that will do things like not using technology during this time to reflect more on the week and not be distracted by other things. I think this is a wonderful idea for anyone (not just those who follow the Jewish faith) because it gives you a chance to recharge- which is kind of the point of the Sabbath.

10. Start painting again
I used to love painting and still have a lot of my art supplies. I have so many ideas for paintings that I haven't gotten around to for one reason or another. Painting is something that brings me joy, and I can feel the difference within myself when I paint versus when I don't. Plus, I'm sure my son would love to paint something while I do as well.

So what resolutions does everyone else have? I'd love to hear your ideas and what you want to accomplish in 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment